Going solar is a complicated decision - that's why at Zenernet, we put education first. This comprehensive guide to going solar covers the questions you need to ask, the factors you need to consider, and more.
This post is an excerpt from our Solar Buying Guide, a comprehensive outline of the questions and factors to consider when going solar. Download the full guide here.
So you’ve decided to go solar - or you may still be in the early stages of research, wondering if it’s right for you and your home. Chances are, you’ve never made a purchase like this; it’s a little different than shopping for a new car or even a new home. This can make the shopping process feel overwhelming. That’s why we’ve put together a comprehensive buying guide to answer all of your questions. Keep reading for a list of questions you should be asking, an explanation of system pricing, and everything else you need to keep in mind when you’re in the market for a solar system.
Understand the price of your system
It’s important to understand the true price of your solar system in order to compare prices applies to applies. Not only does this allow you to compare prices, but also gives you the ability to factor in rebates, incentives and discounts before calculating the true price of your solar system. So how does Zenernet’s pricing compare to other solar companies? Well, we’re the only solar company that offers modular pricing. Simply put, modular pricing allows you to design and pay for the system you want. From the panels, inverters, warranties, and more, you have the power to build a system that works best for your home. Modular pricing also allows you to compare your Zenernet proposal with those of other companies’ applies to applies.
- Choosing your panels⇒ Zenernet offers panels in a variety of wattages and designs from a range of trusted manufacturers.
- Choosing your inverters⇒ Zenernet offers two types of inverters: string inverters and microinverters. With both coming from trusted manufacturers, all you have to do is choose which one is right for your home. Not sure which option works best? One of our experts will be there with you every step of the way to help you make those decisions.
- Choosing your warranties⇒ With the option of a 10, 20, or 25 year warranty, you can protect your solar investment in your choice of duration. On top of that, the manufacturer’s warranties will be included with individual components.
- Choosing your accessories⇒ Zenernet offers valuable system add-ons to help you get the most out of your investment. From energy storage, backup power, EV chargers, smart home technology, and more, we’ve got you covered.
"When you go solar with Zenernet, you can rest assured that we’ll have your back for the long haul. Our job isn’t done when the panels have been installed on your roof - you’ve gained an energy partner for life."
Understanding how solar generates return on investment
The value of your system depends on the utility offset it produces. More specifically, this is the amount of electricity produced by your system. Most states offer net metering (or other similar policies), which give you the ability to maximize the amount of offset by building credits that are generated when your system produces more electricity than you need at a given time. This excess power can be used at a later time when your system isn’t producing as much electricity.
While there is short-term value in giving you the opportunity to reduce your utility bill, the long-term value can also make a big impact on your ROI. Utility rates will continue to increase, but with a solar system, the amount you pay stays the same.
Based on the structure of your system, the consideration of ROI in solar will differ. For example, a cash purchase offers the greatest long term ROI, but requires upfront payment (the timing of payment varies between companies). As for financed purchases, a little bit on long term ROI will be sacrificed to make the short term payments smaller. Depending on the homeowner’s loan term, energy payments can often be reduced right away. Lastly, some homeowners will opt for shorter term loans with higher monthly payments. At the end of the term, the homeowner will own the energy generated by their system with no additional payments.
The design and components of your system
Along with the price and ROI on your system, it’s important to consider the system design and other components that make up your system. To compare individual components and understand their value, you can use our Clarity Commitment tool below:
- System Design: At Zenernet, we value great systems with a great design. We know how important it is for our homeowners to love the design of their system. After all, it’s going on your roof - shouldn’t you decide how it looks? From the impact of shading, roof features, and applicable code, we’ll walk through the entire process with you. We use sleek, modern panels that look great on your roof and we always make sure to minimize or eliminate ugly wires and conduits.
- Is the system forward thinking? Solar technology is ever-changing and evolves quickly. You’ll more than likely want the opportunity to continue advancing your system as more technology is introduced - that’s why we take that into account when designing your system. To provide you with increased efficiency and utility offset, we make sure our systems are future-proof.
- Is the mounting hardware up to par? One of the most important components of your system is the mounting hardware: this is why you shouldn’t compromise on quality. Attached directly to your roof, the mounting hardware often presents the most potential problems. If you choose to install poor quality mounting hardware, you could be looking at roof damage and costly repairs, negating the financial benefits of going solar. At Zenernet, we use the best mounting hardware available so you don’t have to worry about that. The QuickMount PV hardware has been used in more than 3 million solar installations without a single leak. This is because of the high quality, raised roof, seal encased marine-grade aluminum. With this mounting hardware, you don’t have to worry about any damage to your home.
Ensure you trust your solar company
Making an informed decision about a solar proposal based on the technology is essential. However, knowing that you can have full trust in your solar company is just as important.
When you go solar with Zenernet, you can rest assured that we’ll have your back for the long haul. Our job isn’t done when the panels have been installed on your roof - you’ve gained an
energy partner for life. We’ll keep up on the latest solar technology so you don’t have to. You never have to worry about being kept in the loop about new ways you can save money and increase your independence from your utility.
As a top 10 ranked BestCompany provider with hundreds of positive reviews for our commitment to an exceptional customer experience, we’re confident you’ll have a great experience with us.
So what’s next?
Now that you know everything you need to know about purchasing a solar system, what are you waiting for? Schedule a no-pressure consultation with our team to get a customized system design and proposal by clicking 'Get Started'.
This post is an excerpt from our comprehensive Solar Buying Guide. Click below to get the full guide in your inbox.